Monday, August 18, 2008

There's been an explosion

We had no idea that every night a cannon explodes at 9 p.m. in the marina right across from our apartment.
So our first night here, we heard this loud, and I mean LOUD, explosion. I figured it was thunder. But Luis said it had to be an explosion. Then we looked out at the marina, and we saw smoke rising.
Figuring I should be a good resident and report on the unusually loud explosion, I called 911. I said we heard a loud explosion and smoke must have risen but was no longer rising from the marina. The 911 operator asked a few questions, including my location. Then he said they would look into it and get back to me.
Then a friend told us about the cannons going off every night at 9 p.m. And it clicked. He said the 911 operator probably got off the phone and started laughing with his colleagues.

3 comments:

squirrelmama said...

Glad you figured it out at long last and that you at least know it's not a neighbor with indigestion.

squirrelmama said...

Ooops. I mean a NEIGHBOUR. (Forgot to consult the Canadian stylebook, sorry)

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I can so picture you doing this. :)