Monday, January 19, 2009

Canadians for Obama

I'm going to watch the inauguration on the big screen - in a movie theatre. The event was organized by Canadians for Obama and Democrats Abroad. I'm going with my friend Kieran. Luis, unfortunately, has to work as an extra tomorrow and Wednesday. Get this. This movie needed a reporter, and they chose Luis. They didn't chose me. I guess Luis looks more like a reporter than I do. But part of it may be that we told our agent that Luis is available whereas she would have to check with me first because I've been busy with SAT tutoring and freelancing writing.
In other news, we were visiting our friend Kieran tonight, and when we came out, our car was not where we parked it. Oops! I parked too close to the nearest road. What pisses me off was that I was parked in an area marked for 1-hour parking. The sign was very close to the corner with just enough room for two cars. I guess it's really only enough room for one car.
I got a ticket for parking within 6 metres of the sidewalk of the nearest crossroad.
We paid $62.90 (Canadian, of course, so deduct 20% for US dollars) to pick up our car from the impound lot. Separately, I'll have to pay a $45 ticket.
The impound lot was in a part of the city I had never been to. On the way back, I was turning left when I suddenly realized I would have turned into a one-way road. So I made a quick decision to make a U-turn at about the same time that I spotted the flashing lights of a police car behind me. I couldn't believe it.
The officer was so nice. He just asked me what happened, and I explained that we were just returning from picking up our car from the impound lot. He said he wasn't going to give me a ticket. At least we got a break that time.

| |
| | one-hour parking
| | | |
| | \/
| another |
| car |
| |
| |
| |
| our |
| car |
| |
| |
|-crosswalk |-------------------------
| | nearest sidewalk
------ -------------------------

1 comment:

squirrelmama said...

Don't worry about not being cast as a reporter. When the next movie is made, and there's a need for a medical tech, I have a feeling you'll be cast as the man in the white coat and Luis will be saying, "Now wait just one minute there....."
About the ticket....well, that could have been a New York story, you know, only the ending would have been way different. But then, you know that.