Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm confused, are you a woman?


We're looking for a new apartment. I was working and Luis was off for the day, so he looked on his own. He saw a beautiful apartment.
Just look at this kitchen...
This is an apartment in a home. An Iranian guy owned the home and arrived here about five months ago.
Luis kept "my husband."
Finally, the guy said, "I'm confused. Are you a woman?"
And Luis placed his two index fingers together, and said, "No, we are together and we are both men."
This part isn't as funny because the guy was reluctant to rent to us. He said he had to talk to his wife and mentioned he had an 8-year-old kid. Luis said he wasn't nasty; he was ignorant at worst and naive. Our current landlord is Iranian and was actually relieved when we told him we were getting married, I guess figuring it showed some stability.
Oh, and did I say there's an ISLAND in the kitchen??? OMG!

1 comment:

squirrelmama said...

Oh no. It's depressing to think that in this day and age people can really be ignorant like that. I have a very bad feeling that you will not be getting the apartment and yes, the kitchen is stunning. Nicer to rent in a house than in a large building too. My fingers are crossed that this prospective landlord figures things out REAL SOON and signs you guys up for a lease. He doesn't know what good tenants he'll be getting.