Monday, June 30, 2008

We arrived in Seattle

After a long and grueling month following our committment ceremony, Luis and I have made it to Seattle, where we'll stay for a day before heading to Victoria, British Columbia on Wednesday.
We were lucky to have enough points to upgrade to first class for the trip. As people boarded, Luis tapped my shoulder and pointed to a woman I did not recognize at first. "That's Rosie O'Donnell," he said. She was so nice. We told her we're getting married in Victoria. She said, "You could go to California." But I told her it still wouldn't help us because I couldn't sponsor Luis for U.S. residency. She said, "You better be careful coming back," referring to Luis not being a resident. I said, "We're emigrating." And she said something along the lines of it would be good to get out of this country. She's just as frustrated as I am that this country doesn't recognize gay marriage. My Mom said Rosie is waiting until every state recognizes marriage before she marries.
When we arrived, I called my sister Karen, who loves Rosie, and told her Rosie was sitting behind us. Then I said, "Rosie, my sister loves you. Can you say 'Hello?'"
She confirmed she was "Rosie O'Donnell, star of the Flintstones."
We're staying at the Executive Pacific Hotel. Tomorrow we're going to do the Seattle City Tour. If we still have energy at day's end, we'll do the Seattle Underground Tour.
When we arrived in the hotel room, Luis was so happy to have a TV after nearly a month without one in our house. It always weird watching the weather somewhere else and seeing a map of an entirely new place. The weatherman gave the weather for Vancouver through northern Oregon. It's supposed to be clouds in the morning, clearing up in the afternoon.
Back to Long Island... At the last minute, we found tenants for our house. It's a young couple and their friend, and all seem very nice. I have a gut instinct that I can trust them. The agent is sealing the deal tomorrow. Of course, I won't believe it until the check clears, given what's happened to me in real estate recently.

2 comments:

squirrelmama said...

Hurrah! You now have the ocean on the left side instead of the right side. And Luis has his TV again, at least for now. Can't wait to hear about Seattle, and please let me know which Starbucks coffee there ends up being Luis' favorite. I mean, you know how I like my coffee, right?
Bravo for Rosie. I used to find her horrid because she advocated squirrel cruelty on her show but now, it turns out, she likes squirrels - so she's AOK in my book.
By the way I found your other blog, the one with the excuses for eating or not eating. Love it! Wish I'd known of it long, long ago, I was sitting at work last night and laughing at something, for a change.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to our mutual friend, Caryn, you have a Texan peeking into your life and loving your blog as well as the wonderful photos on your website.