Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On the ferry to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Luis and I had to get up at 5:45 a.m. to board the ferry between 6:30 and 7:15 a.m., heading to Victoria, British Colombia to complete several years of work in our plan to emigrate to Canada.
Luis was very nervous. I guess I was, too. I had a dream in which…

I woke up and looked at the clock and it was 10:10 a.m. I went to check the time on our cell phone but it wouldn’t display a time. I frantically called the front desk and asked for the time. He said: “11:30.” I said, “a.m.?” He said, “Yes,”

Actually, we had more than enough time. Luis awoke at 4:30 a.m. and took a shower. I slept until 5:50 a.m,
The Victoria clipper checks the documents. But the official check comes when we enter Canada and Canadian officials check it.
We had to show our boarding pass and passport for the Victoria Clipper. Waiting in line, we would hear the Victoria Clipper employee say,” Any felonies or DUIs?” I couldn’t hear the answer from one woman with a large family. I just heard her say, “I’m a safe driver.” Then the Victoria Clipper employee said, “One moment,” and he got on the phone. He called the front desk and spoke for a bit as she nervously waited. Then he said, “I’m going to have to ask you to go back to the front desk.” The family waited, but we had to board.
The Victoria Clipper employee didn’t look for my visa, as it’s not necessary for an American. With Luis’ passport, he looked at the identification the front, then opened the passport to check the Visa. Of course, all was OK.

No comments: