Wednesday, October 1, 2008

We've got healthcare and other news

This is just a mix of various items...
  • New residents receive health insurance two months from the 1st of the month after their arrival. We arrived on July 2, so the two-month anniversary from Aug. 1 is today. So we have health insurance. We applied soon after we arrived, and had already received our cards with today's start date. That means I can now go to a doctor for my hypothyroidism. We still have to wait for our prescription coverage. But, as I may have written before, prescription drugs are so cheap here.
  • I finished tutoring one of my students in the SAT. He takes the test on Saturday. He's hoping to go to a university in California. He started out with a very low grade on the grammar. Now he's getting either a perfect score or just missing one or two questions. That's awesome. He also improved in the math section. I started on blog on my SAT tutoring in Vancouver, hoping to attract new clients.
  • Tonight I had my fourth "Introduction to Broadcasting" class. It's really interesting how broadcast writing is so different from newspaper writing. The leads have to be in the present tense. We had to interview another student and write about it. I wrote about how this other student became a volunteer in emergency preparedness after a fire struck his apartment building. He told how Luis and I came here to get married and that our commitment ceremony will be on TV.
  • Funny that I just had to pay $375 for the last two months of my electric bill from Long Island Power Authority (LIPA). Today, I received my first bill here: $37. I thought, "Wow! that is so cheap for one month." Then I saw that it was for TWO months. Sure, I'm in a smaller apartment. I really think LIPA scams people. There have been times when I was away on vacation for a month and still had a big LIPA bill. Come on. My refrigerator doesn't use that much electricity.
  • Earlier this week was insane because I was doing my freelance for the AP. I had to analyze a government database that was in complete disarray. So it took so much work. I was up until 8:30 a.m. on Monday working on it.
  • I've cut back on the work as an extra on TV and movie sets because I want to focus on doing more freelance work. Yesterday, Luis was on the set of a movie called "Tooth Fairy" with The Rock.
  • I might be going back to New York later this fall. I got a call from the law firm representing Newsday and me in a lawsuit filed by the subject of a story I wrote. I have to go back to New York for a deposition. The lawyers haven't set the date yet, though.

4 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Glad to hear you're settling in! Re. your power bill, I think it may have more to do with your space than anything...I pay about $30 a month when I don't run a/c.

Tell me if you come back to NYC!

Richard said...

The difference in size is just part of the increase.
The rate, the cost per kilowatt hour, was a lot higher on Long Island -- three times as much as here.
Then LIPA tacked on all these extra fees on top of the actual electric charges.

squirrelmama said...

LIPA is a R.I.P.O.F.F. - but I still think your refrigerator was consuming a lot of energy, as well as consuming a lot of the food you kept in it. Why else would all your groceries keep disappearing?

Hey, you gotta be proud of your college student's progress. But you always did have a talent for teaching.

Leema Thomas said...

hey Rich,
i enjoy reading your blog (but i always read about it after squirrelmama fills me in on the latest...anyhow wish u were here to explain all this wall street craziness...i need a primer..
regards to Luis.
take care
LT